This list offers students a starting point for their White Rose Student Essay Contest research. The list is not exhaustive and teachers are encouraged to help students find additional resources. MCHE urges caution when conducting open web-based searches for Holocaust research. Please require your students to link through trusted sites such as the Midwest Center for Holocaust Education and the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Most books and non-linked resources are available in the MCHE Resource Center.
Art and Music
- Arad, Yitzhak. Documents on the Holocaust.
- The Aims of Jewish Youth at the Present Time, From an Underground Publication, 1940
- Appeal of the Jewish Fighting Organization to the Polish Underground, Asking for Arms
- Appeal for Contributions by the Judenrat in Bialystok
- Appeal Not to Go to Labor Camps, from an Underground Publication
- Call to Armed Self-Defense, from an Underground Publication
- The Dilemma of Jewish Self Help
- Educational Problems in the Underground Youth Movement in the Ghetto
- From a Report of the Jewish Fighting Organization in the Warsaw Ghetto on its Activities
- From Notes by Hersh Berlinski on the Aims of the Jewish Fighting Organization
- “The Heroic Resistance of the Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto,” from The Polish Underground Press
- Jewish Self-Help in Warsaw
- The Last Letter From Mordecai Anielewicz, Warsaw Ghetto Revolt Commander
- Lodz Ghetto Photography of Mendel Grossman
- Photographs from the Warsaw Ghetto
- Response of the Commander of the Armia Krajowa to the Jewish Request For Arms
- Ringelblum On Cooperation Between Jewish Political Parties in the Underground
- The Smuggling of Food Into the Warsaw Ghetto
- Some Ghetto Thoughts on Rescue and Revenge
- Survey of Problems of Jewish Resistance by an Armia Krajowa Officer in Charge of Jewish Affairs Department
- The Work of a Jewish Political Party, from an Underground Publication, 1940
- Adelson, Alan, ed. The Diary of Dawid Sierakowiak: Five Notebooks from the Lodz Ghetto. New York, Oxford University Press, 1996.
- Edelbaum, Ben. Growing Up In The Holocaust.
- Focal Point – Resistance
- Kaplan, Chaim. Scroll of Agony: The Warsaw Diary of Chaim A. Kaplan. Bloomington, IN, Indiana University Press, 1999.
- Hilberg, Raul, Stanislaw Staron, and Josef Kermisz editors. The Warsaw Diary of Adam Czerniakow: Prelude to Doom. New York, Stein and Day, 1979.
- I Witness Testimony Archive – (requires teacher log-in and allowing access for students)
- Klajman, Jack. Out of the Ghetto. London. Vallentine Mitchell, 2000.
- Korczak, Janusz. Ghetto Diary. New York, Holocaust Library, 1978.
- Lewin, Abraham. A Cup of Tears: A Diary of the Warsaw Ghetto.
- Meed, Vladka. On Both Sides of the Wall. Washington, DC, Holocaust Library, 1999.
- Ringelblum, Emmanuel. Notes from the Warsaw Ghetto: The Journal of Emmanuel Ringelblum. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1958.
- USHMM Testimonies
- Shub, Baruch
- Tory, Avraham. Surviving the Holocaust: The Kovno Ghetto Diary. Cambridge, MA, Harvard University Press, 1990.
- Voices from the Inferno
- Warsaw Ghetto Uprising Testimonies
- Władysław Szpilman
- Zapruder, Alexandra. Salvaged Pages: Young Writers’ Diaries of the Holocaust.
- Zelkowicz, Josef. In Those Terrible Days: Notes from the Lodz Ghetto. Jerusalem, Yad Vashem, 2002.
- Mordecai Anielewicz
- Adam Czerniakow
- Jacob Gens
- Mendel Grossman
- Janusz Korczak
- Emanual Ringelblum
- Chaim Rumkowski
- Dawid Sierakowiak
Art and Music
- By The Ghetto Gate
- The Lonely Child
- Partisans of Vilna Music
- Poetry in Hell: Yiddish Poetry in the Ringelblum Archives
- There Lies Treblinka
- Zog nit keynmol az du geyst dem letstn veg
- Adelson, Alan and Robert Lapides. Lodz Ghetto: Inside a Community Under Siege. New York, Penguin Books, 1991.
- Anflick, Charles. Resistance: Teen Partisans and Resistors Who Fought Nazi Tyranny. New York: Rosen Publishing Group, Inc., 1999.
- Art and the Holocaust
- Art During the Holocaust
- Bauer, Yehuda. “Forms of Jewish Resistance During the Holocaust.” In Holocaust: Religious and Philosophical Implications, edited by John K. Roth and Michael Berenbaum. New York: Paragon House, 1989.
- Bialystok Ghetto Uprising
Dobroszycki, Lucjan. The Chronicle of the Lodz Ghetto, 1941–1944. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1984.
- Female Couriers During the Holocaust
- Friedman, Philip. “Jewish Resistance to Nazism: Its Various Forms and Aspects.” in Anthology of Holocaust Literature, edited by Jacob Glatstein, Israel Knox, and Samuel Margoshes. New York: Atheneum, 1968.
- Ghetto Fighters House Museum
- Grossman, Mendel and Frank Dabba Smith. My Secret Camera: Life in the Lodz Ghetto. San Diego, CA, 2000.
- Gurewitsch, Brana. Mothers, Sisters, Resisters: Oral Histories of Women Who Survived the Holocaust.
- Gutman, Yisrael. The Jews of Warsaw 1939-1943. Harvester Press, Brighton, England, 1982.
- Heartstrings: Music of the Holocaust
- Jewish Councils
- Jewish Fighters in the Cracow Ghetto
- Jewish Resistance
- Jewish Uprisings in the Ghettos and Camps, 1941-1944.
- The Judenrat
- Kassow, Samuel D. Who Will Write Our History?: Emanuel Ringelblum, the Warsaw Ghetto, and the Oyneg Shabes Archive. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2007.
- “Let the World Read and Know” The Oneg Shabbat Archives
- Mais, Yitzchak. Daring to Resist: Jewish Defiance in the Holocaust. New York, Museum of Jewish Heritage, 2008.
- Music and the Holocaust
- Partisans in Vilna
- Religious Life in the Kovno Ghetto
- Resistance During the Holocaust
- Resistance in the Kovno Ghetto
- Resistance in the Smaller Ghettos of Eastern Europe
- Resistance in the Vilna Ghetto
- “Resistance is…” Poem
- Rudavsky, Joseph. To Live With Hope, To Die With Dignity: Spiritual Resistance in the Ghettos and Camps. Northvale, NJ: Jason Aronson, 1997.
- Secret Archives of the Kovno Ghetto
- Shneidman, N.N. The Three Tragic Heroes of the Vilnius Ghetto: Witenberg, Sheinbaum, Gens. Niagara Falls, NY, Mosaic Press, 2002.
- Silverman, J. The Undying Flame: Ballads and Songs of the Holocaust. Syracuse, N.Y., Syracuse University Press, 2002.
- Spiritual Resistance in the Ghettos
- Szner, Zvi and Alexander Sened. With A Camera In The Ghetto. New York, Schocken Books, 1977.
- Theresienstadt: Cultural Life
- Theresienstadt: Spiritual Resistance and Historical Context
- To Live With Honor and To Die With Honor
- Vilna During the Holocaust: Health and Welfare Organizations
- Vilna During the Holocaust: The Library
- Vilna During the Holocaust: Religious Life
- Vilna During the Holocaust: Theatre and Music in the Ghetto
- Volavková, Hana and Celeste Raspanti. I Never Saw Another Butterfly:Children’s Drawings and Poems from the Terezin Concentration Camp, 1942-1944.
- Warsaw Ghetto Uprising
- Warsaw Ghetto Uprising
- Writers and Poets in the Ghettos
- Defiant Requiem. PBS
- Everyday Life in the Warsaw Ghetto
- From Despair to Defiance: The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.
- The Ghettos
- Jewish Responses to the Holocaust – MCHE Documentary
- Lodz Ghetto.
- Not Like Sheep to the Slaughter: The Story of the Bialystok Ghetto.
- Partisans of Vilna.
- Resistance: Untold Stories of Jewish Partisans. PBS Home Video.
- Echoes and Reflections Chapter 6
- Daring to Resist
- Individual Responsibility and Resistance During the Holocaust
- Jewish Responses to the Holocaust – Testimony-Based Exercise
- Mutual Assistance within the Ghetto Walls
- Spiritual Resistance During the Holocaust: Maintaining a “Normal” Way of Life in an Abnormal World
General Resources – Online
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Holocaust Encyclopedia
- The Holocaust: A Learning Site for Students
- History of the Holocaust: An Overview
- Simon Wiesenthal Center Museum of Tolerance
- Jewish Virtual Library
- Yad Vashem
General Primary Source Materials – Online